February 3, 2012

Thing I Miss Most About Working

In some circles I might be considered a workaholic. But this is America and we thrive on workaholics so there is no 12 step program to help me recover. Instead I have taken it upon myself to mend my ways by not getting a job...

Well at least a full-time job. I have a part-time one. And I am interviewing for a 2nd part-time one. But still, I don't have a full-time job. So it is progress.

I was that crazy person in college that had a full case-load and 2 jobs: admin assistant and waitress. Looking back I have no real idea why I needed 2 jobs, my rent share was $187/month. $187/month!! But I digress...

There are certain things I really miss about working. Money is a big one--but Fayetteville isn't the hub of culture, shopping, or entertainment so I don't really need money. Friends is another--I do spend most of my daily hours talking to dogs, assuming they know exactly what I am saying, and are answering me back by the movement of their eyebrows. But the thing I miss most is Fridays.

Teacher Happy Hour in San Diego
Friday is a magical day in the land of work weeks that adults get to look forward to like a mini-Christmas. A Christmas without stress or wrapping presents or family dinners or fruitcake. It usually involves unwinding with friends and drinking. I love both of these.

This may sound a bit unaltruistic (is that a word??) but Fridays may also be what I miss most about teaching. Teachers do Fridays like Will Farrell's Elf does Christmas. Teacher happy hours are by far the happiest hours out there. Maybe because they often start at 3:30?

Being partially employed and mostly only being responsible for "potty time" doesn't really change based on the day of the week so Fridays just slide by like a Wednesday or a Sunday with no hoopla, no happy hour, no magic.

It is really very sad.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I understand. The new happy hour starts when the kids are tucked in. It's hard to tuck kids in at 3:30 pm.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I love mail!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...